With the right products and an artistic spirit, you can transform yourself into almost anything, even a lovely ladybug. This makeup look is sure to stand out at any theme party, or inspire your next Halloween costume.
Essential Makeup Products
This ladybug look combines dramatic eyes, bold colors, and over-the-top accents. It is the perfect mixture of sassy and sweet. Whether you are applying makeup on yourself or someone you know, it will look amazing. There are certain items you will need to channel your inner insect, including:
- Face Products: Moisturizer, primer, foundation, concealer, and powder. Optional: white face paint
- Eyebrow Essentials: Brow pencil and powder
- Eyeshadow Shades: Red, black, medium brown, and shimmery white
- Must Have Eyeliner: Black liquid eyeliner
- Eyelashes: Mascara, false eyelashes, and lash glue
- Lip Products: Red lip liner and lipstick
Transform Yourself Into a Ladybug
Once you have everything you need, the creative process can officially begin. It won't take long to make this ladybug look come to life.
Begin with Insect-Inspired Skin
To start, grab a moisturizer and apply it all over your face. Once the product has settled into the skin, add on a primer. This will help your makeup last longer and give your skin a smoother finish. From there:
- Apply the best foundation for your skin tone using a small stipple brush.
- Add concealer to any problem areas, like underneath the eyes or wherever there are blemishes and redness.
- Use a bronzer to contour your face, focusing on the hairline, along the sides of the nose, and below the cheekbones.
- Set with a translucent powder.
Next, it is time to give your skin that ladybug appearance.
- There are a couple of ways to achieve this look. You can either apply a red eyeshadow directly to the face, or prime the skin with white face paint first for bolder and more intense color.
- Apply either the eyeshadow or white face paint around the eye area in a "C" shape. Play with size and placement until you are happy with the look.
- Pack on the red shadow to build up the color. (If you are using white face paint first, be sure to let it dry before you apply the shadow.)
- Once you are finished with the red areas, add on black spots using liquid eyeliner, varying the size as you go.
Create Bold Eyebrows
To make your creation bolder, pay attention to your brows. You can fill them in as normal (using an eyebrow pencil that is a shade lighter than your natural hair color), follow an eyebrow trend, or use a darker pencil to fill in your brows. If you choose the latter, use dark brown or black. This will give you a dramatic and high contrast look. Top off with a powder or gel for extra hold.
Get Glamorous Ladybug Eyes
This smoky eye look is the perfect way to pull together your ladybug makeup. To start:
- Use a large fluffy brush and work a medium brown eyeshadow shade through the crease. This will help you create the shape and work as a warm transition shade.
- Apply black eyeshadow all over the lid and blend thoroughly to soften.
- Add that same shadow along the lower lash line for a smoky look.
- Take the red eyeshadow and apply it just above the black shadow on the eyelid. This should blend in with that transition color.
- Use a white shimmery eyeshadow underneath the brow bone and in the inner corner of the eye.
- Create winged cat eye makeup using your black liquid eyeliner. Let it dry completely then add on a coat of mascara.
- The next step is optional, but a pair of false lashes can make this ladybug look even more intense. Apply lash glue to the lashes, wait until the glue becomes tacky, and apply false lashes along the upper lash line. Check out this False Lashes YouTube tutorial for quick and easy application.
Finish with the Lips
You are almost ready to show off your ladybug-inspired makeup. All you need is a pop of red to complete the look.
- Start by lining your lips with a red lip liner, filling it in completely. This will ensure that your lipstick wears naturally throughout the night.
- Then add on a red lipstick to finish it all off. Any shade will do, but a vibrant color will give you that extra oomph!
Achieve a Ladybug Look Quickly and Easily
The sky is the limit when it comes to ladybug makeup. It can be subtle and sweet or completely over-the-top. Don't worry if you are short on time. It is possible to simplify and modify.
- Skip the Face Details: One option is to skip the red and black face details and stick to a glamorous eye and red lip. Just be sure to wear a red outfit or add on a pair of ladybug earrings.
- Child-Friendly Ladybug Look: For a child friendly version of this look, do not use foundation, concealer, or powder. Simply add on a little red and black. Put eyeshadow around the eye area in a "C" shape, create black dots using liquid eyeliner, and apply red lipstick. This modified version is just as exciting - and can be done in mere minutes.
Anyone Can Create This Makeup Look
There is nothing like being creative. It allows you to feel good and make something memorable. It doesn't matter if you are getting ready for a themed get-together or want to give your child a memorable Halloween costume. This ladybug makeup is both versatile and fun.