Some makeup trends are simple and straightforward while others are bold and unexpected. Pink mascara is a prime example of the latter. This trend has been seen on the runway, in fashion spreads, and more recently, on beauty lovers around the globe. This colorful look is more than just a popular option - it is playful, exciting, and easy to achieve.
The Pink Lash Trend
Colored mascara is hardly a new concept. Over the years, jewel-toned shades like purple, sapphire, and emerald have all lined the shelves. In fact, this style dates back to 1980s makeup trends, when it was all too common to pair blue mascara with pink eyeshadow and a rose blush. These days, a fresh twist has been put on this old-school beauty look. Pink makeup is in the midst of a comeback.
This shade has been described as a millennial favorite because it continues to create tons of buzz on Instagram. Pink mascara is doing more than scoring likes on social media, though. Major publications like Marie Claire and Elle have published articles on this growing lash trend.
The Best Products to Use
This trend is taking over, with fashion editors, designers, and celebrities adding pink mascara to their must-have lists. Now you can, too! There are many options, whatever your budget. Some fantastic choices include:
- NYX Color Mascara (Pink Petals, about $7): The first product on the list comes highly recommended. It made The Fashion Spot's list of 13 Colored Mascaras That Will Make You Forget About Black. This is described as a pale pink that is extremely pigmented. Thankfully, NYX has never been a brand to shy away from color. This is great news for drugstore makeup fans, as anyone can add a fun pop to the lashes without breaking the bank.
- 3Ina The Color Mascara (104, about $12): Another colorful option comes from 3Ina. This shade stands out because not only it is ultra vibrant but the formula is cruelty free, volumizing, thickening, and waterproof. That means beautiful pink lashes that will stay all day and night. This is another affordable choice for beauty lovers on a budget.
- MAC In Extreme Dimension Mascara (Abs of Steel, around $20): If you are after something that is tried, tested, and true, this could be your best bet. MAC is known for their standout products, with their False Lashes mascara being crowned a winner by Harper's Bazaar. For a healthy dose of color, add Abs of Steel to your makeup collection. This fuchsia pink is a rich shade that is undeniably luxurious.
- Kevyn Aucoin The Expert Mascara (Bloodroses, about $30): For a higher-end option, consider this colored mascara from acclaimed makeup artist Kevyn Aucoin's line. Though it is not as boldly colored as some of the others on this list, the deeper shade is the perfect choice for a more subtle wash of color. The high quality and renowned name helped this get a mention from Elle on their list of the top pink mascaras.
Choosing the Right Shade
Just as important as finding a pink mascara to suit your budget is selecting one that is flattering. Ideally, you want to choose a shade that complements your eyes and skin tone as much as possible.
- Eye Color: According to an article on enhancing eye color from makeup blog Tiny Touchups, pinks and purples are ideal for green eyes, as the colors make them stand out. People with brown eyes, on the other hand, can pull off a multitude of colored mascara shades (pink included). If you have blue or hazel eyes, opt for a magenta rather than a pale or bright pink. It is universally flattering and will intensify the eyes.
- Skin Tone: When it comes to skin tone, this may also affect the product you choose. For instance, people with warmer undertones should choose pinks that have warm tones as well, like a rich burgundy. If you have cooler undertones, a cool pink (either a pastel shade or a brighter color) is a good choice. Those with neutral undertones will look great with any and all shades of pink!
How to Achieve the Look
Once you have found the perfect mascara, it is time to apply it. Don't be afraid to embrace color and have fun with your next makeup look. To maximize this in-your-face shade, start by:
- Using a lash primer to prepare the eyelashes for color. Not only does a lash primer make lashes appear thicker and more voluminous, but it also works as a base coat for colored mascaras. (This is important if your natural lashes are on the dark side.) Since pink mascara shows up better and truer to color on lighter lashes, a white primer is essential. Comb it through the eyelashes and let it dry completely.
- Add on your desired shade. For the best results - and minimal clumping - apply the product in a zig-zag motion. This ensures that you are evenly coating the lashes from the base to the tip. Let dry and apply a second coat.
- Use a mascara comb to create separation between each lash. This will make them look more natural and make the eyes pop. If you're not sure how to complete this step properly, check out the YouTube video on How to Comb Eyelashes.
Fun Ways to Wear Pink Mascara
Color is always in style. Though the ways it is worn may change from time to time, a splash of pink never goes amiss. The sky is the limit when it comes to wearing this trend, but a few ideas to get you started include:
- Mix and Match. Sometimes, all you need is a little color co-ordination. A Bustle article about colored mascara listed matching your eyeliner as one of the many ways you can have fun with color. Pair a pink liner (like the NYX Vivid Brights Liner in Pastel Pink, about $7) with your makeup for an undeniably colorful finish. Or wear two different colours of mascara for a bold rainbow effect!
- Use on Bottom lashes only. It's okay to be hesitant at first. Just because you have a gorgeous colored mascara doesn't necessarily mean you feel comfortable abandoning your faithful jet black tube. The good news is that you don't need to - at least not entirely. Apply your normal mascara on the upper lashes and then sweep a colorful shade along the bottom lashes to add a new dimension to your eye makeup look.
- Pair It With a Neutral Eye Look. Another option is to wear black mascara on the lower lashes, pink on the upper lashes, and a neutral eyeshadow all over the lid. When wearing such a bold mascara, you may want to consider keeping the lids bare and toning down the rest of your makeup. You can also mute the pink shade by wearing it over top of a traditional black mascara.
- Create a Bold Winged Effect. If you are still searching for an unforgettable way to wear it, consider embracing a bold winged out look. Use liquid eyeliner to create your wing (this tutorial can help you perfect the technique) and add two coats of mascara to the upper and lower lashes. Then apply pink to the outer lashes only. This hint of color will instantly elevate your winged look.
- Apply Color to the Tips. Give yourself a fresh new look by combining pink and black. To create this style, apply a dark mascara as usual. Once it has dried, place pink on the very tips of the lashes. This will add some color to your makeup look, allowing you enjoy contrast that is bold but wearable.
Ta da! You should have seriously gorgeous lashes with lots of head-turning color. There are countless ways to get creative with makeup, so you never have to worry about running out of ways to add pink mascara to your look. For instance, this smokey makeup tutorial will show you how to use color to create a dramatic eye look:
Anyone Can Wear This Trend
Though this beauty trend may seem totally over the top, there are many ways to incorporate it into your next makeup look. Just remember: it can be as statement or subtle as you like. It all depends on how you wear it. Get creative and embrace color for a vibrant style that is all your own.