More than just a subtle blush, rosacea is a chronic skin condition that involves inflammation on the face, typically on the cheeks, nose, chin and forehead. There are several brands of foundation makeup that will help soothe rosacea while providing extra coverage.
Mineral powder is a loose powder foundation that consists of the base minerals zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These offer a natural protection from the sun and less irritation than other types of foundation.
- Bare Minerals Original Foundation has a broad spectrum SPF 15 and offers great coverage with a natural finish. It is made without parabens or synthetic chemicals and will not dry the skin which is beneficial to those who suffer with rosacea. Bare Minerals can be purchased for less than $30.
- Lily Lolo Mineral Foundation has a natural SPF 15 and anti-inflammatory properties to help calm sensitive skin. It also contains mica to reflect light, which steers attention away from redness. Made of pure inert minerals and no harsh chemicals or additives, Lily Lolo mineral foundation is cruelty free and available in 18 shades. It retails for less than $25.
- Jane Iredale PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation has a sheer matte finish. It is free of oil, parabens, and synthetic chemicals, which are ingredients that rosacea suffers should avoid. This foundation contains pomegranate extract that aids in minimizing UV damage. Choose a shade with yellow tones to help to neutralize redness. Jane Iredale PurePressed Foundation sells for about $40.
- Younique Touch Mineral Pressed Powder Foundation is an ultra-fine, breathable foundation that gives an even finished complexion. It contains soybean oil and vitamin E which offer skin conditioning benefits and environmental exposure protection. Younique Touch Mineral Pressed Powder can be ordered online or from a consultant for about $30 and the company offers a money-back guarantee.
Liquid foundation can be applied using your fingers, a sponge, or a brush. Those with sensitive skin may find some of the ingredients in liquid foundation can irritate the skin and exacerbate rosacea, so make sure to read the label of any product you're considering.
- Dermablend is a cosmetics line specifically developed to cover skin conditions such as scars, rosacea, birthmarks and tattoos. Dermablend Smooth Liquid Camo Foundation is a breathable product with a smooth finish. It is recommended to cover up minor redness without a heavy feel and is fragrance free and safe for sensitive skin. It provides all-day hydration and SPF 25 to protect skin from the sun, which is a known rosacea trigger. Liquid Camo is available for less than $40.
- Clinique Redness Solutions Makeup helps heal rosacea redness while covering it at the same time. It features probiotic technology, which uses "good" bacteria to help protect against environmental damage and improve the health of your skin. The makeup is soothing and oil-free, neutralizes redness and flushing. It also offers SPF 15 and antioxidants. It retails for less than $30.
Cream foundation is a thicker formulation that provides a more uniform coverage than liquid foundation. It is not recommended for those with oily skin since the product is a thick cream and may clog pores, leading to breakouts.
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Correcting Cream is a redness-neutralizing correcting cream and foundation. This cream not only camouflages redness and discolorations but makes skin appear smooth and soft without creasing. It contains soothing ingredients such as collagen, colloidal oatmeal, avocado, and aloe. This foundation can be purchased for about $30.
- Mary Kay CC Cream Foundation with SPF 15 offers lightweight coverage for a natural looking complexion and is oil and fragrance free. It hydrates the skin, diminishes redness, and leaves the skin looking more vibrant. This foundation is formulated with vitamin E and botanical ingredients to help calm and soothe skin. Mary Kay CC Cream can be purchased through a consultant or online for about $20.
How to Use Foundation to Cover Rosacea
If you're trying to cover up serious redness from rosacea you need to pay special attention to how you apply your foundation.
- First apply a light layer of foundation all over your face, starting from the center and blending out toward the hairline and into the jaw line and neck. Always use a clean foundation brush or sponge to avoid spreading bacteria. If you're using your fingers with a liquid or cream foundation, make sure that your hands are clean before you start.
- Use a small, dense brush to apply more foundation over heavily blushed areas, such as the nose and cheeks. Lightly tap the extra foundation with your ring finger to blend and blur the edges.
- Set with a gentle, non-irritating loose translucent powder so that your foundation lasts all day.
Fight the Flush
The next time you experience facial flushing, reach for a foundation product that will not only conceal the outbreak but also help to heal it. There are plenty of foundation products for people with rosacea that cover up the redness and help soothe skin and prevent rosacea flare-ups.