Choosing the perfect outfit is one thing, but knowing what makeup to wear with it is a whole different story. If your heart is set on a head-turning yellow dress, select your products carefully. The key is to determine which shades will work best with your coloring and personal style.
Eye Makeup for a Yellow Dress
Whether you are wearing yellow to prom, a wedding, or even a garden party, knowing what eye makeup to wear is essential. The right color can complement your appearance and elevate your style. The general rule for choosing makeup colors is that they should harmonize with one another. This means your eyeshadow should flatter both your blush and lipstick.
Eyeshadow Color Options
When wearing a yellow dress, select makeup that falls into the warm color family. Gold tones work with yellow as do browns and peach-toned shades. A smoky eye can also be complementary. Use dark grays and black for a dramatic look or chocolate browns for a more subtle finish.
There are plenty of other eyeshadow options to consider, especially when you factor in your eye color. For instance:
- If you have green or brown eyes, you may want to reach for a green eyeshadow with a bit of shimmer. (Something like the NYX Hot Singles Eyeshadow in the shade Dank is a great example.)
- Those with dark eyes should consider a shimmering gold or even lilac. The latter is a contrast to yellow and looks great on every eye color.
Products to Consider
You may have appropriate eyeshadow shades in your makeup collection already. If you don't, there are plenty of colors to try out, including:
- Anyone looking for a shimmery gold shadow should consider a highly pigmented powder, like Goldmine from MAC.
- MAC Cosmetics also makes Star Violet, a light purple shade that will look great against a yellow dress.
- Want a green shadow to make your eyes pop? Look no further than the drugstore. Revlon's PhotoReady eyeshadow palette in Pop Art has both light and dark green, as well as turquoise.
- For peach and coral tones, reach for the Too Faced Sweet Peach Eye Shadow palette. Shades like Just Peachy and Candied Peach will really make the eyes pop.
Consider the Shade of Yellow
Something else to think about is the actual color you will be wearing, for example:
- If your dress is a pastel yellow, choose brighter colors to make your eyes pop, like coral or peach.
- If you are wearing a bolder yellow, try softer shades such as brown, beige, or pale green.
Complete Your Eye Look
Once you settle on the eyeshadows, line your eyes with a great eyeliner, like Sephora's Contour Matte eyeliner in Espresso Your Love. The final touch is mascara to emphasize the eyes. Try one that will lengthen and thicken your lashes for a dramatic finish.
Lipstick Colors to Complement a Yellow Dress
To ensure your makeup works together seamlessly, put serious consideration into the lipstick shade you choose. The perfect pairing will do more than elevate your style. It will give you stunning ensemble from head to toe.
Stunning Shades for Every Look
The ideal lip color will depend entirely on your completed eye makeup. It should work together to create a cohesive (and flattering) look. Some suggestions to keep in mind:
- StyleCraze recommends reaching for a soft pink, rose, or orange lipstick.
- To complement a neutral eye look (gold, brown, or peach), go a little brighter and bolder. According to an Allure article on red lipstick, combining primary colors will make both the dress and the lip color appear brighter and more vibrant.
- Anyone who opts for a green or lilac-colored eyeshadow shade should stick to something neutral but warm on the lips. Think about a deep peach color or a rich coral.
Must-Have Lip Products
To achieve a spectacular makeup look, choose a color that gives you the most flattering appearance possible. Some products to look out for include:
- Berlin is described as a warm rose.
- When it comes to the perfect red lipstick, there are many options to choose from. However, one that comes highly recommended is the Dragon Girl Velvet Matte Lip Pencil from NARS.
- Another great option is Sexy Sienna from Charlotte Tilbury. This shade is a rich peachy-coral that will make a statement without overpowering color on the eyelids.
Face Makeup for Yellow Prom Dresses and More
Ideally, you want face makeup that is fresh, light, and breezy when wearing a yellow dress. Think about what you would wear on a bright, sunny, spring day. Since you'll be going for a flawless and natural look, there are specific tools you will need to have on hand.
A natural looking blush will give your skin a warm, youthful glow. Your best bet is a sheer, cream blush like Bobbi Brown's Pot Rouge in a soft pink. Cheek tints are another complementary option, especially if you choose a peach or coral toned product. Something like the chachatint Cheek and Lip Stain from Benefit is a wonderful choice.
Powder bronzer may also be used on the cheeks. For yellow-toned dresses the most important thing to do is minimize redness. That makes brown-toned cheek products a particularly good idea. Apply a baked blush like the Hard Candy Illuminating Bronzer on the apples of the cheeks for a concentrated application of color.
- If your dress is a pale or pastel yellow, stick to a soft pink or bronzy blush shade.
- For brighter shades of yellow, choose a blush shade that is more peachy or coral toned.
Foundation and Concealer
Foundation should match your skin tone exactly. You want to look as if you are not wearing any makeup at all, so having a foundation that blends flawlessly is a must.
Concealer may be your best friend when it comes to achieving a flawless face. This product can help your eyes appear brighter or cover up any blemishes you may have. Since you want to neutralize any redness (to avoid clashing or drawing attention to the wrong area), it is important to apply the product wherever you need a little coverage.
Shine Bright With Complementary Makeup
Yellow is a bold, sunny, and downright exciting color. Though it is not always easy to wear, the extra effort it requires is always worth it. Have fun experimenting with colors to find out what looks best on you.