Many women have large pores, which may be over the entire face, or more commonly, concentrated on a certain facial feature or area, such as the nose, cheeks, chin, or forehead. A good skincare routine including cleansing, exfoliating, toning, and moisturizing is essential, so make sure you are taking care of your skin before attempting to cover the problem areas with makeup. Even with the most diligent skincare, however, the pores may still appear to be more noticeable than a woman likes, and that's when the magic of makeup comes into play.
Types of Makeup for Large Pores
There are two common types of makeup designed to help minimize the appearance of pores: concealers and foundations. Other products may not necessarily be designed for large pores, but they provide smooth and substantial coverage that reduces the appearance of the pores.
Pore concealers are available in translucent or colored formulas to match your skin tone. Many pore concealers work by temporarily filling in the pore cavity, so it is important to make sure the makeup is removed at the end of the day.
- Concealapore is a translucent pore concealer that works primarily on large, noticeable pores. The product is applied with a tiny spatula type tool to single large pores or enlarged patches prior to makeup. The product is touted as 'natural', however, none of the product ingredients are listed on the website.
- Larenim Invisi-Pore Concealer: This mineral concealer from Larenim comes in a small pot of loose minerals. Available in two shades, light to medium and medium to dark, the product is applied to the areas of enlarged pores with a small concealer brush.
Pore Minimizing Foundations
Foundations for large pores reduce the appearance of the pores. Since excess oil can cause pores to look larger, choose oil free (or oil controlling foundations if you have oily skin). Cream to powder foundations are often recommended for women with large pores as these may provide better coverage than the liquid variety. Many women have also had success covering pores with mineral makeup foundations. A few examples of foundation for large pores include:
- Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfecting Makeup: This product provides natural looking coverage but is designed control oil and minimize the appearance of pores.
- Mineral Makeup Foundations: Mineral foundations provide a soft, natural finish and can help minimize the look of pores. For best results, use a mineral finishing powder, such as Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil to achieve a more flawless look.
Makeup Application Tips for Large Pores
Some simple tricks and tips can make a big difference in reducing the appearance of enlarged pores.
- After cleansing the face, splash with cool water or run an ice cube lightly over the skin. This can help temporary shrink pores and makeup is less likely to settle into them.
- Prior to applying makeup, use a pore minimizing or refning lotion. Many brands sell these lotions, and they can help reduce pore size and protect the skin from clogging irritants and debris. Biore, Clinique, Neutrogena, Avon, Estee Lauder, and many other brands manufacture these lotions.
- Another trick is to apply a makeup primer as a base before your makeup. Many women with large pores find that a quality primer minimizes the appearance of pores and they can apply their makeup as usual without any concerns over the pores. A makeup primer or base is applied like a moisturizer, and simple provides a smooth, protective surface on which the makeup can be applied. The primer also helps makeup last longer and stay in place.
- When applying foundation, use a small amount, adding coverage slowly as needed. Adding too much makeup can draw attention to the pores rather than disguising them.
- Applying foundation with a sponge is often best for those with large pores. (Change or wash sponges often to avoid bacteria build up).
- Apply foundation in downward strokes to keep pores minimized.
- Finish your makeup and set the skin by gently pressing with powder.
- Since excess oil can often make pores appear larger, a good oily skin makeup tip is to keep blotting papers in your purse and gently blot periodically throughout the day to keep your makeup looking fresh.