Makeup mirrors are a critical tool when applying cosmetics. There are many different styles and sizes available. When shopping, choose a mirror with the features that fit both your lifestyle and beauty routine.
Types of Makeup Mirrors
There are several types of mirrors available, and many women own more than one. Magnifying and lighted mirrors are some of the most popular types. Many women may also own a large mirror for general application, and a smaller mirror for travel or daily touch-ups.
Magnifying mirrors are superb tools for fine detail work such as lip liner, eyeliner, or multiple shades that require delicate blending to achieve the best results. Magnifying makeup mirrors are also essential for covering fine lines and blemishes, and are particularly helpful for women with poor eyesight that may have to remove their glasses before applying makeup.
- Get 5x magnification with the Jerdon First Class, 8" Wall Mount Mirror. The wall mount leaves your countertops and dressers free from clutter.
- Pick up a simple Oval Chrome Mirror from Target, which offers up to 10x magnification. The oval shape makes it easy to check your entire face at once.
Mirrors can go up to 15 and even 20x magnification. Keep in mind that mirrors with higher magnification may be more expensive.
Many types of mirrors have built in lights, either on the edges or encircling the entire reflective surface. This provides a smooth, consistent light source that enhances makeup application by eliminating shadows that may result in uneven cosmetics. Users should be aware, however, that the way the makeup appears in the lighted makeup mirror may differ from its appearance in natural light.
- The Jerdon JGL9W 5X Magnification Tri-fold Lighted Mirror is the perfect choice for a woman who wants it all in her mirror. Adjustable lighting, side panels, 5x magnification, and adjustable stand make it a great choice for both home and travel.
- Check out the Conair TM8LX Illumina Double-Sided Makeup Mirror, which has four different light settings, two large lighted bars on each side of the double-sided mirror and and adjust
Stationary mirrors often have adjustable stands and may also have movable or swivel features for convenience. An advantage of a stationary mirror is that it allows a woman to have both hands free as she is applying cosmetics.
- The elegant Danielle D711 Beveled Oval Vanity Mirror offers a modern design when compared to traditional stationary mirrors. The contemporary design ensures that it will blend into your decor instead of standing out like metallic mirrors.
- Gatco Magnifying Table Mirror in Polished Brass is a two-sided mirror, with regular magnification and 3x magnification. The simple design is also available in chrome and nickel finishes.
These small, compact mirrors are sold separately from cosmetic products, but should be a part of every woman's makeup case nonetheless. While they are not sufficient for extensive makeup application, they are convenient for travel and reviewing touch-ups.
- Brookstone's 15X Lighted Spot Mirror has LED bulbs in a small compact size that allows for easy touch-ups on the go - even when lighting is dim. It has suction cups, leaving both hands free for makeup application.
- Fashionistas will love Floxite's Swarovski LED Lighted Compact Mirror. It features four LED lights and has an elegant look for women who enjoy a touch of luxury in their makeup accessories.
A handheld makeup mirror is essential for verifying the cosmetic's application and coloration from different angles and is easy to use in conjunction with a stationary mirror in a bathroom or at a vanity. Handheld mirrors come in different sizes, but the best will be one that can show the entire face without distortion.
- A mini hand mirror is easy to toss into your purse, and is inexpensive as well. Keep one in your travel bag and car for quick checks on the run.
- Handheld mirrors offer plenty of options, too. This hand mirror from Bed Bath & Beyond offers 10x and 1x magnification. It folds for easy storage.
When choosing makeup, many women consider whether or not the product has an integrated mirror. These mirrors are appropriate for quick touch-ups or checking to be sure the makeup remains flawless. The detriment to this type of mirror is that they easily become smudged and clouded with the cosmetic, limiting its effectiveness. Popular examples include:
- L'Oreal Paris Infallible Lip Colour Compact promises 16 hours of long-wearing lipstick that comes in mirrored packaging.
- Urban Decay's Ammo Eyeshadow Palette is a classic, filled with best-selling colors, and it includes a large built-in mirror for easy application.
- Benefit's Box O' Powder Blush comes in a small square box with packaging that matches the name of the shade. A small mirror in the box top makes it easy to apply on the go.
Caring for Makeup Mirrors
Over time, powders, oils, and sprays from cosmetics can cloud and smudge mirrors, limiting their effectiveness. If the buildup is especially bad, it can even lead to distortions. When cleaning a makeup mirror, use streak-free glass cleaner and wipe gently to prevent scratches, nicks, or permanent damage that would cause distortions. If at all possible, avoid getting makeup directly on the mirror.
When storing makeup mirrors, be sure they are adequately cushioned from sharp objects, potential pressure, and accidental drops that may chip or break the surface.
Reflecting Your Best Self
Having the right makeup mirror for the job at hand is the key to a balanced, beautiful appearance. Choose a mirror that offer the size, style, and features you need to look your best.