Instant tan makeup can give you a tan without exposing your skin to the sun's dangerous rays. Instant tan products were created to give people the look of having a sun-kissed glow without sun bathing, getting a spray tan from a salon, or using a tanning salon. It differs from other tan products that can take hours to activate onto your skin.
Face vs. Body Tanning Makeup
Tanning makeup for your face is different from body tanning makeup. Facial tanning makeup has a thinner consistency that is more appropriate for the sensitive skin on your face. It is less likely to clog pores and cause blemishes than using body tan makeup on your face. It is important to note, however, that some instant tan products do not contain a sun block, so it is not advisable to go out into the sun without a sun block.
Pro and Cons of Using an Instant Tan Makeup
It is important to make sure that your instant tan product provides an even coverage, allows your skin to breathe, and does not dry out your skin. Instant tans are great for people who want the look of a tan year-round. Even during the winter months, you can look like you just stepped off the beach. Fake tan for the face may have extra nutrients and a smoother consistency.
Some problems with tan makeup, however, are that it can dry your skin and it can also look unnatural. Some instant tanners also have a chemical odor. Additionally, some instant tan makeup can stain your hands when it is applied, or it can rub off on clothing. To avoid these cons:
- Try the product out.
- Smell it before your use it.
- Read reviews to determine if it is known to rub off on clothing or furniture.
How to Apply Tanning Makeup
Applying instant tanning makeup that is a liquid, gel, or cream, is similar to applying foundation. Like using foundation, it's important to blend the product well to avoid streaking. Use gloves or a moisturizer on your hands to prevent the product form staining your skin. If you choose not to wear gloves, you must wash your hands immediately after application to prevent it from staining.
- Instant tan makeup should be applied to skin that is clean, exfoliated, and moisturized.
- Squirt the product onto your finger.
- Dab it onto your face, placing it on your forehead, chin, nose, and cheeks.
- Rub the product into your skin, and make sure that you rub it into the folds. Don't forget to rub it under your eyes and on the sides of your nose.
- Blend well, paying particular attention to blending in the jaw area.
- Similarly, make sure that the product is blended well into the hairline.
- Once the product is blended into your skin, it will dry, and you will have a healthy looking tan.
Powder makeup or bronzers and are applied with a powder puff. The product is buffed into the skin, very similar to the application of a loose powder foundation. Powder makeup or cream to powder bronzers can be applied with a foundation brush. Make sure that the product is applied evenly, or it will look streaky or unnatural.
Instant tan makeup is available in different formulations including:
The self-tanning makeup may also be available in matte and shimmer. Shimmer gives the look of sparkly, glowing skin that reflects in the light.
Brands and Where to find Instant Tan Makeup
Brands of makeup for tans include:
- Rimmel Sunshimmer Instant Tan Makeup
- Egyptian Earth Bronzer
- Ambre Solaire No Streaks Bronzer
Tanning makeup is available in most drug stores in the United States. You can also buy it online. Tan makeup can give you a natural-looking tan without the side effects.