Eye makeup for black women is often a confusing topic. What colors should I wear and how can I look fantastic are questions that are frequently raised. Read on to find out how you can use color to create a beautiful and arresting eye makeup look.
Beautiful Eye Makeup for Black Women
For too long, eye makeup for black women was a non-issue as several makeup companies didn't give this topic the attention it deserved. Thankfully, those days are long gone. Now, more than ever, it is possible to achieve gorgeous eyes in a myriad of styles.
Tips on Creating Gorgeous Eyes
Know Your Best Colors
The first step in achieving beautiful eye makeup for black women is knowing what colors to use. Certain shades will work better on dark skin tones than others. These colors include:
- Deep Purples
- Deep shades of blue
In some instances, rich, green shades like ivy will work nicely too, but that depends on how well it compliments your skin tone. That said, however, there's no reason why you shouldn't experiment with the color to see how it looks.
Create Different Looks
There are also several different looks that you may want to utilize depending on the occasion. Try:
A Bold Cat Eye
A bold cat eye look is perfect for special occasions, and the best news is that you don't need to go with the standard shades of black and brown. Instead, use purple or navy blue with your cat eye. To do so:
- Prep the eye by using an eye cream if needed.
- Take your lightest eye shadow shade and sweep all across your eye, until you reach the brow bone.
- Next, take your eyeliner and draw a line across your eyelid, taking care to extend the line outward, past your eye. Feel free to be bold here, and draw a fairly substantial line.
- Follow this up with an eye shadow that is the same color as the eye pencil you use.
- Finish up by applying a few coats of mascara.
Sexy Sheer Looks
Sheer shades can look every bit as sexy as the bold cat eye and the best news is that it can be done in a minimal amount of time. To do this look, you'll need to purchase shades that are formulated to be sheer and slightly pearlized. Bobbi Brown offers a good one for about $18.00. What you'll really love about this type of eye shadow is that you don't need to be perfect when you apply it.For a great, easy look, apply a shade like bone to the entire eye (again, go all the way up to the brow).
- Next, grab a neutral eye pencil in brown or grey and draw a line across your eye. Use a light hand as you do this.
- After that's been completed, choose another pearlized eye shade and sweep it across your lower lid, taking care not to let it seep into your crease.
You can finish once again with mascara, or if you'd like, make the look even more natural by opting for a clear mascara (you can find them at drugstores like Walgreen's).
No matter the eye makeup style you chose, the following tips will help to ensure that you always look your best:
- Use concealor: Invest in a really good, cream, eye-friendly concealor. Even if you don't have under eye circles, it is worth investing in this product, as it will brighten up the inner recesses of the eye. The end result? Wider and brighter eyes.
- Curl lashes: You might also want to conside4r curling your lashes with an eyelash curler. This will lengthen your eyelashes and like the right concealor, open up the entire eye.
- Eye Creams: If you are noticing creping or fine lines around your eyes, and eye cream may also be worth the money.
Putting It All Together
While there are many different styles of eye makeup, the best thing you can do to look your beautiful best is to choose the right makeup colors. This way, you won't run the risk of look garish. Instead, you'll look like you are glowing from the inside out - always a fantastic look!