Exotic red carpet makeup styles and looks are easy to achieve if you have some specific ideas in mind. With a little know-how and some inspiration, you can look as glamorous as your favorite movie star!
Looking The Part
You've seen enough red carpet premieres in your lifetime (if only on the television) to know that the glamour and dazzle of Hollywood is no illusion. Seductive dresses, ravishing heels, cascading curls and million dollar jewels are just for starters, though. The real stars of the show are the flawless skin, the Cupid's bow lips, the dramatic eyes, the accentuated cheekbones and, of course, an allover radiant glow. None of this would be possible without the help of makeup!
Achieving the look is surprisingly simple, even for novices or those who don't normally stray from their standard look. While there's nothing wrong with wearing the same colors everyday, there's also no harm in experimenting a little. You might just discover some exotic, high fashion makeup styles and looks that are just perfect for you. All it takes is some confidence.
What You Need
Estee Lauder's spring collection, Exotic Spring, was a fusion of bright, wearable and fashion-forward shades inspired by the breathtaking beauty of nature's most vivid elements, such as the sun and the sea. Clinique's fall collection, Play in the Darks, reminds women that there's no need to be a wallflower all the time: A slick of vamp-like lipstick or a dark line of cream along the eyelid can create the best kind of drama. Clearly, 2007 has been the year of exotic makeup. That makes the process of achieving an ultra-glamorous look all the more possible, especially considering the innumerable looks just waiting to be created.
Whether you just want to try your hand at a new look or show off for a major event or special occasion, you'll benefit from a few of these tips. You'll need a selection of cosmetics to start out with. Grab the eye shadows, lipsticks, eyeliners, blushes, bronzers, lip glosses and mascaras that appeal to you. Many will likely already be in your makeup collection, but don't be afraid to hit the counters and scoop up a few new finds, either. This look is all about taking chances and being a bit adventurous.
It's simply not enough to just dream about luscious lips. The glassy shine and full pout you admire on magazine covers and in cosmetic advertisments can easily be yours, too. These steps may take a little time to master at first - especially if you are using dark lipstick colors - but you'll get the hang of it in no time.
- Line and fill your lips in with a lip liner that coordinates with your chosen lipstick. The liner acts as a base, creating a foundation for your lipstick to adhere to. Ensure precise application by resting your elbow on a sturdy surface, if necessary. Already have a naturally dark lip line? Skip the liner and dab a hint of concealer onto your lip line, patting it gently to cover the line and create an even canvas.
- Achieve that exotic look by selecting a color that makes your lips pop! Choose a shade that complements your skin tone and apply with a lip brush. This ensures perfect application and won't waste product.
- Blot any excess lipstick with a tissue and follow with a dab of gloss on the center of your lips. A sexy, shimmery gloss is the perfect tool to dress up your lips; it works well in brightening a matte shade and it makes lipstick last longer, too.
The Eyes Have It
If you'd rather bat your lengthy lashes and show off your pretty peepers, you'll love adding some intensity to your eyes. A smoky look is especially glamorous; its vibe is both sexy and mysterious, exuding an unforgettable allure that will keep heads turning your way all night long. Achieve this look with a little practice and these tips.
- Prime your eyelids with an eye shadow base, such as Benefit's F.Y...eye!, which locks color in place for hours on end.
- Trace your upper lash line with a black or dark brown eyeliner. Dot the same color on your lower lash line, taking care to remain as close to the line as possible. Use a smudge brush (or, in a pinch, a cotton swab) to blend the color against the lash lines.
- Brush an eye shadow in a deep shade from the lid to the crease, blending upward and outward for an extra-dramatic finish. Colors like gray, mocha and forest green are all suitable for most skin tones. As a general rule, stay away from blues, which can make the wearer look tired.
- Dust a neutral shadow, such as bone, ivory or champagne, over your brow bone.
- Complete the look with two generous coats of black or dark brown mascara. Feeling especially daring? Consider a pair of false lashes. You'll look like a red carpet regular.
No matter how lovely your eyes and lips might be, they're no match for a flawless complexion. Radiant skin is cared-for skin, and that's a look we should all strive for.
- Regular at-home or salon facials are a sensible investment. Once every three months is more than enough to satisfy your skin's needs, particularly as the weather changes.
- Unless your skin is exceptionally oily, don't think twice about moisturizing. Maintain a supple surface from head to toe and you'll reap the benefits in the long term. Slather on a rich cream or a lightweight lotion, depending on your skin type, every day.
- Fake your bake. No matter how great a tan might look, it's downright ugly when you look at the potential consequences of a day spent soaking up rays. Bronze your skin with one of the daily tanning lotions, such as Jergens Natural Glow or Olay Quench. Your color will darken slowly and naturally.
Ideas for Red Carpet Ready Makeup Styles and Looks
You don't have to look far to find the looks you'd love to try. Flip through a fashion magazine, watch a film, catch a star-studded event on television or simply glean inspiration from a fashionable friend. The possibilities are endless!