A fast-growing division of the perfume market is celebrity perfumes. It seems that nearly every famous singer, actor, athlete or model comes out with a signature scent at some point.
The Lucrative Business of Celebrity Fragrances
Celebrities and fragrance houses alike benefit monetarily from releasing fragrances. Typically, celebrities lend their names or endorse a fragrance, which is marketed through a perfume house, such as Tommy Hilfiger, Emporio Armani, or Chanel. The fragrance is often manufactured by another company, and the firms share the profit. Celebrities can bring in large amounts of money through their involvement with fragrances and other products. In fact, some celebrities' income is primarily from such sources rather than from their actual profession.
Some celebrities merely lend their name and image to the fragrance campaign. They appear in print and television advertisements to market the fragrance. When creating a "signature scent," the celebrities will sometimes visit the lab to choose notes, or the ingredients in the fragrance, that they feel best encapsulates their personality and image. Participation in the development of the fragrance varies widely.
How Successful Are They?
According to market research firm NPD Group, there are over 500 celebrity perfumes released a year, yet they amount to only ten percent of fragrance sales. A celebrity's biggest fans might purchase the fragrances or receive them as gifts. Others succumb to the allure that, by wearing a fragrance that is named after a certain celebrity, they will suddenly acquire some of their qualities such as beauty, athletic prowess or musical talent. It is unlikely, however, that most celebrities even wear their own scents.
The sales success of celebrity perfumes may also depend on the public opinion of the celebrity. If the celebrity becomes involved in some sort of scandal, some people will be less likely to buy their perfume or any other merchandise associated with them. Many people find the idea of celebrity fragrances silly and would be embarrassed to purchase them. Celebrities with a limited fan base may not find as much success in the fragrance industry as a highly regarded A-List actor, for example.
A List of Celebrity Perfumes
Some celebrity perfumes are named after the celebrity themselves, while others are merely endorsed by them. Here is a sampling, by profession:
- Antonio Banderas: Spirit, Mediterraneo, Diavolo Hypnotic, Diavolo Donna, Diavolo, Blue Seduction
- Catherine Zeta-Jones: Elizabeth Arden Provocative Woman, Red Door Revealed
- Charlize Theron: Dior J'Adore
- Elizabeth Taylor: Passion, White Diamonds, Forever Elizabeth, Black Pearls, Diamonds & Emeralds, Diamonds & Rubies, Sapphires & Diamonds
- Hilary Duff: With Love... Hilary Duff, Wrapped With Love
- Kate Winslet: Lancôme Trésor
- Uma Thurman: Lancôme Miracle
- Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen: N.Y. Chic, L.A. Style; One, Two; Hamptons Style South Beach Chic
- Nicole Kidman: Chanel No. 5
- Keira Knightley: Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
- Sarah Jessica Parker: Lovely, Covet, The Lovely Collection: Dawn, Endless & Twilight
- Clive Owen: Lancôme Hypnôse
- Ewan McGregor: Davidoff Adventure
- Reese Witherspoon: In Bloom
- Scarlett Johansson: Calvin Klein Eternity Moment
- Gwyneth Paltrow: Estée Lauder Pure White Linen Light Breeze, Estée Lauder *Pleasures, Estée Lauder Pleasures Delights
- Liv Tyler: Givenchy Very Irrésistible
- Queen Latifah: Queen
- Halle Berry: Halle
- 50 Cent: Power
- Avril Lavigne: Black Star
- Beyoncé Knowles: True Star, True Star Gold, Emporio Armani Diamonds
- Britney Spears: Curious, Fantasy, Curious: In Control, Midnight Fantasy, Believe, Curious Hearts, Hidden Fantasy, Circus Fantasy
- Celine Dion: Celine Dion, Notes, Belong, Always Belong, Memento, Enchanting, Spring in Paris, Paris Nights, Sensational, Sensational Moment, Spring in Provence, Chic
- Cher: Uninhibited by Parfums Stern, Inc.
- Christina Aguilera: Christina Aguilera by Christina Aguilera, Inspire, Christina Aguilera: By Night
- Enrique Iglesias: True Star
- Gwen Stefani: L. A. M. B., L by Gwen Stefani, Harajuku Lovers
- Jennifer Lopez: JLo Glow, Still, Miami Glow, Love at First Glow, Live, Live Luxe, Glow After Dark, Deseo, Deseo Forever, Deseo For Men, Live Platinum, Sunkissed Glow
- Jessica Simpson: Fancy, Fancy Love
- Kylie Minogue: Darling, Sweet Darling, Showtime, Sexy Darling, Couture, Inverse (Men)
- Mariah Carey: M by Mariah Carey, M by Mariah Carey Gold, Luscious Pink, Forever
- Michael Jackson: Mystique de Michael Jackson, Legende de Michael Jackson, Magic Beat Unwind, Magic Beat Heartbeat, Magic Beat Wildfire, Michael Jackson Mystery
- Prince: Get Wild, 3121
- Sean John: Unforgivable, Unforgivable Woman, Multi-Platinum
- Shania Twain: Shania by Stetson, Shania Starlight
- Tim McGraw: McGraw, Southern Blend
- Usher: Usher For Him, Usher For Her
- Victoria Beckham: Intimately Beckham for Her, Intimately Night for Her, Beckham Signature for Her
- David Beckham: Instinct, Intimately Beckham for Him, Instinct Intense, Intimately Beckham Night for Him, Beckham Signature For Him
- Derek Jeter: Driven
- Maria Sharapova: Maria Sharapova
- Michael Jordan: Michael Jordan, Jordan, 23
Models and Other Personalities
- Kate Moss: Kate, Velvet Hour, Kate Summertime
- Naomi Campbell: Naomi Campbell, Mystery
- Paris Hilton: Paris Hilton, Just Me, Heiress/Heir, Can Can, Fairy Dust, Siren