When it comes to respected brands of makeup, there is perhaps no more coveted brand than MAC. The company has been creating unique makeup products for years that can help any woman achieve a bold, one-of-kind makeup look that can be perfect for any occasion. No matter what type of MAC makeup look you are trying to acheive, there are a few easy tips you can try to make sure your look is perfect every time.
Examples of MAC Makeup Looks
MAC Cosmetics have great staying power, so whichever MAC makeup look you're going for is guaranteed to last through the day or night. The brand offers a slew of shades from everyday taupe to bright turquoise, so whether you want to be a natural beauty or a bold vixen, MAC has the shades for you.
Classic and Neutral
While MAC is definitely known for its richly pigmented, over-the-top shades, the brand has plenty of classic and neutral hues for a daytime work look, or if you prefer a natural look.
To create a look that's appropriate for your nine-to-five life, but isn't too boring for after-work cocktails:
- Dust Brule, a creamy beige, all over lids
- Add Honesty, a soft pewtered bronze, in the crease for definition
- Finish off the eyes with two coats of MAC Prolash mascara in black
Sweep powder blush in Tenderling, a sheer nude pink on apples of cheeks to add a fresh, natural wash of color that subtly defines cheekbones. To complete the natural look and add a glossy finish, slick on Lipglass in Lust, a soft muted pink lip gloss.
Try a few of these MAC tips to make your neutral look really shine:
- If you've avoided lip gloss in the past because of its lack of staying power, MAC Lipglass is long lasting and can be worn over lipstick.
- The key to a neutral, classic look is flawless, natural looking skin. If you have blotches or redness with your skin apply MAC's Fix+ to the skin first for a natural looking and even slate.
- Keep your brows controlled and natural looking without having to draw them in with a heavy pencil by using MAC's sheer Brow Set product.
Dramatic and Smoky
Whether you have a flair for the dramatic on a daily basis, or just like having fun with your makeup on the weekend, MAC has plenty of shadow shades to create that perfect smoky eye. Grey tones work well on all eye colors, so start by applying Scene, a muted blue grey with a satin finish on eyelids and blending slightly up into the crease. To enhance the look and create a cat eye effect, draw a thin line on upper lash line, gradually making it thicker and then turning up at the outer corner with MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack, a gel liner that lasts all day. Apply two coats of Opulash mascara for lashes that have curl and dramatic volume.
With eyes this sexy and smoky it's best to keep the rest of the face neutral. Sweep Blushbaby, a sheer beige pink blush along cheekbones and apply Plushglass in Pretty Plush, a soft pink with white pearl for a lip that has just enough color and shine and won't compete with your smoky eyes.
There are a few things you can do to ensure your dramatic smoky look lasts all night:
- To ensure your dramatic eye makeup lasts all night use the MAC Prep + Prime eye primer before applying shadow.
- Since the rest of your face will need to be neutral, use the Blot Powder on your T-zone to get rid of shine while keeping the skin looking natural.
- Since your foundation shouldn't be too heavy with this look, start with light coverage and build until you get the coverage you want. It is easier to add foundation than take it away.
Bold and Brazen
If you're not afraid of color and want to go big and bold with your MAC makeup look, MAC Cosmetics has the shades for you. For a fresh pop of color on the eyes, blue is actually flattering on most eye colors and makes the whites of your eyes look whiter. MAC's Electric Eel, a bright blue with shimmer, will be sure to grab everyone's attention. Sweep the blue shade all over lid, blending just into the crease. Line upper and lower lash lines with MAC eye pencil in Ebony for definition that won't upstage your blue peepers. Add two coats of MAC Fibre Lash for extreme volume to make those eyes really stand out.
Soft peach hues on cheeks and lips complement the bright blue shadow and offer just enough definition to the rest of your features. Lightly sweep Sunbasque, a peach with pearl along cheek bones and apply Lipglass in C-Thru, a peachy beige shimmery lip gloss.
- To make your lashes even bigger and bolder, apply the Prep +Prime Lash Primer to the lashes before mascara to lengthen the lashes and make them appear fuller.
- When applying your lipgloss, try dabbing a small amount of gloss in the middle of your bottom lip for a simple pouty look that isn't overdone.
- To get even coverage with your eye shadow application, MAC recommends holding their brushes in the middle of the handle instead of down towards the silver part of the brush.
Make the most of your MAC products and get the best look with these tips:
- Visit the MAC site for pro tips: The MAC website now offers a video section with professional makeup artists providing instruction on popular makeup looks. Find out how to create a simple smoky eye, master wearing red lipstick, apply blush and contour the face, and how to make your makeup last.
- Find out what pros use: Many professional makeup artists use MAC products. View the websites and tutorials of popular artists to see which products they use, and how to get the look. For example, makeup artist Marlena (founder of Makeup Geek) gives examples of four MAC eye shadows and brushes to use in her video How to Blend Your Eye Shadow Like a Pro. Artists may also give tutorials for looks using specific palettes or seasonal products.
- Read reviews: Since MAC products are high quality, the prices are not cheap. Read reviews on products and colors on a forum such as Makeup Alley to get an iea of whether it would work for you before you buy.
MAC's consumer line is available to any woman, and the range of products allow looks from simple, everyday styles to more extreme and dramatic application. The brand is a favorite of many makeup artists, but the average woman can feel just as confident trying out a look with the products.
Experiment with MAC to Find Your Ideal Look
Creating that signature MAC makeup look is all about experimenting with different color and shades to create a bold makeup look that could only come from this famous makeup brand. No matter which look you normally gravitate toward, there are MAC products to suit your lifestyle and personality. Neutral shades are great for the work week, smoky eyes make you stand out in the evening and on the weekends and sometimes you just want to go bold with color for a night out with the girls. Visit the MAC website for the latest products, as well as makeup tips and trends.