You can make your own eye makeup remover at home with a few ingredients that you may have in your kitchen or bathroom. Eye makeup remover is easy to make and is the perfect alternative to pricey commercial products.
Eye Makeup Remover Recipes
Gentle Eye Makeup Remover
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons baby shampoo
- ½ tablespoon mineral oil or baby oil
- Start with a clean bottle or small glass jar and add all the ingredients.
- Shake well to mix thoroughly.
- Apply remover with a soft tissue, cotton pad or cotton ball.
- Reapply until makeup is totally removed.
- Rinse eye area with warm water to remove any residue.
Storage: The remaining solution can be stored in the container at room temperature
Organic Eye Makeup Remover
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons organic sesame oil
- Spoon coconut oil into a small bowl.
- Microwave coconut oil for 3 seconds or until it becomes liquid.
- Add sesame oil to the coconut oil.
- Mix well until blended.
- Dip your finger or cotton ball into the mixture and apply to your eye area.
- Wipe gently until makeup is removed.
Disposal: Dispose of solution after use since coconut oil will solidify once it sits out for awhile.
Tip: To keep coconut oil fresher longer, place it in the fridge and pull it out when you are ready to mix up another batch of remover.
Remover for Waterproof Makeup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon castor oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a clean container such as a bottle or jar, mix together the three oils.
- Shake well to mix together.
- Pour a small amount of the oil mixture onto a cotton pad or cotton ball.
- Gently wipe the oils over your eyelashes and eyelids until makeup is removed.
- Repeat as needed.
Storage: Store remaining solution at room temperature away from moisture and heat since castor oil can decompose.
You can use a variety of oils for your homemade makeup remover. You can simply use what you have on hand. Use the same amount of oil that is called for in the recipe when substituting another oil.
Try adding any of the following oils to add to your recipe as a substitution:
- Jojoba oil: This oil is commonly used in skin and haircare products due to its moisturizing properties.
- Sunflower oil: This oil is an emollient that will protect and hydrate skin while removing makeup.
- Canola oil: This oil is inexpensive and readily available in almost every kitchen pantry.
- Grape seed oil: This oil is extremely moisturizing to the skin and will help protect the delicate eye area.
If you wanting a thicker, creamier texture for your eye makeup remover, try substituting petroleum jelly for one of the oils in any recipe. This will thicken the remover and make it possible to apply like a cream to your eye area. Petroleum jelly is extremely moisturizing, so keep in mind that it can leave a heavy residue if not rinsed off well.
Making your own eye makeup remover is simple to do and very affordable. Many homemade removers use oils that will nourish and moisturize your eyelashes keeping them from getting brittle from mascara and harsh removers. You can have fun experimenting with different recipes to find the one that works best for your needs.